Monday, November 25, 2013

Blessings...

This time of year it's pretty easy to get caught up in the rat race and become tired, irritable and overwhelmed.  For me, orders start piling up, I have no clean clothes left, I'm so tired from burning the midnight oil I can barely see straight, I try to keep up with commitments to family, my personal projects...oh the list goes on.  Burnout is creeping in and then out of nowhere, I am reminded of why I truly love my job and am so fortunate to be able to make a difference, even as small as it may be.

Recently I had the privilege of photographing the "P" family.  They have been through a lot.  I mean A LOT.  Actually that barely even describes it.  Scared, frightened, terrified, worried, hopeful, joyful, loving, caring, optimistic, angry and confused are just a few words that come to mind to describe what they must be feeling.  Parents are always asked when they announce a pregnancy if they are hoping for a boy or girl, and the response is always "It doesn't matter, as long as the baby is healthy".  Unfortunately this wish doesn't always come true and suddenly your life is turned upside down.  Faced with the unexpected, this family soldiers on with grace, courage and optimism.  Photographing this precious family was truly an honor.

With Thanksgiving being just around the corner I have many things to be thankful for and the "P" family coming into my life is one of them.  They reminded me of why creating images is so important.  Why we need to document what is going on in our lives and the people we love.  Life is full of milestones and they are (as we all should be) celebrating each and every one of them.  Have a blessed Thanksgiving "P" family...you guys are awesome.

No comments: